Top Social

Fears

Thursday, June 23, 2016


I guess it's common knowledge that I am afraid of a lot of things. When I first found my forever family, I was so anxious and afraid all the time that I chewed holes in just about everything, such as my old pink blanket. In my defense, I'm a lot less afraid now than I was five years ago when I first came to live with Todd and Diane and I haven't chewed a hole in any blankets, sheets, towels, or clothing in years, but still, I have some fears. To be honest, I'm a little embarrassed that I get scared so easily; after all, how can I fulfill my sworn duty to protect Todd from all dangers real and imaginary when there are so many potential dangers?

Todd things that this summer's Todyssey will help me overcome my fears, and Diane thinks that's a lot of nonsense. I can't say for certain which way it will go. All I can say is I will fulfill my duty to Todd to the best of my ability, as always.

Anyway, Diane says blog readers like lists, and since our last list was of favorites, we decided to make a list of fears, just to get everything out there in the open before our big, fear-facing adventure.

1. Dogs.

Yes, I know I am a dog, and no, I am not afraid of myself, but other dogs are frankly rather scary. They bark loud, they run fast, sometimes they growl, they have sharp teeth, and they always seem very interested in me. I am less afraid of dogs now than I used to be, thanks to my best friend Bobby and our occasional visits to the truly terrifying dog park, but dogs other than Bobby still make me want to run home as fast as I can.

2. People other than Diane and Todd, especially small people.

I have trust issues. It's just that simple. I'm not going to just lick the hand of any old person who sticks a hand in my face. Roll over and let a stranger rub my belly? Not a chance. If I don't know you, I can't be sure I want to know you. The people I like best (other than Diane and Todd) are the ones who either totally ignore or who give me a lot of yummy table scraps. The people I like the least are the ones who baby-talk to me and want to pet me.

3. Cardboard boxes.

I don't know why everyone thinks this is so weird. Yes, I am afraid of cardboard boxes. It doesn't matter how big or small the box is, either. If a cardboard box appears on the front porch, I have no choice but to take cover under an armchair or in my crate. What I don't get it why no one else is afraid! You don't know who put that box there! You don't know what's going to be in the box! What if it's a small person or a dog? It could be. You can't know until you open it. A lot of boxes have shown up at our house lately full of supplies for the Todyssey, and let me tell you, constant exposure to boxes has done nothing to diminish my fear. For good reason, I might add.

4. New toys.

I'm sorry but there is nothing that isn't terrifying about a pink polyester pig that squeaks when you squeeze it and that shoots across the room when you pull its tail. Why would anyone think I would want such a thing? That's what I want to know.

5. Anything that makes a popping sound vaguely resembling the sound of a gun being fired.

And you aren't afraid of the sound of a gun being fired, I have to ask, what's the matter with you?

6. Having my claws trimmed.

I'm not the sort of gal who goes for pedicures. I do not like having other people touch my feet for any reason, but when I see them coming at me with those clippers--I shudder to think of it. I'd rather get my shots than have my claws trimmed.

As I look back over my fears, I have to say, I feel reassured. I don't have to worry at all about #3 and #4 on our trip--Amazon can't possibly deliver to the Big Rolling Crate as we drive across the country, and Diane and Todd keep saying that we can't buy things on our trip because there will be no where to put them in the Big Rolling Crate anyway. I also don't have to worry about #6, because that only happens when we got the vet, but we're going to be far, far away from the vet on our adventure.

So it really just boils down to dogs and people. Who knows? Maybe Todd's right, maybe this trip will help me overcome those fears. Only time will tell...

Our departure is in one week! One week before the Big Rolling Crate sets sails on a Todyssey across the sea of highways leading West into the vast interior of the country. Stay tuned...


Post Comment
Post a Comment

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature